Wednesday, June 12, 2013

ARC Review: ONE by Leigh Ann Kopans

Title: ONE
Author: Leigh Ann Kopans
Pages: 374 pages
Format acquired: Paperback (ARC)
Publication date: June 11th 2013
Source: Received from author (Thank you so much, Leigh!! <3)
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble



When having two powers makes you a Super and having none makes you a Normal, having only one makes you a sad half-superpowered freak.

It makes you a One.

Sixteen-year-old Merrin Grey would love to be able to fly – too bad all she can do is hover.

If she could just land an internship at the Biotech Hub, she might finally figure out how to fix herself. She busts her butt in AP Chem and salivates over the Hub’s research on the manifestation of superpowers, all in hopes of boosting her chances.

Then she meets Elias VanDyne, another One, and all her carefully crafted plans fly out the window. Literally. When the two of them touch, their Ones combine to make them fly, and when they’re not soaring over the Nebraska cornfields, they’re busy falling for each other.

Merrin's mad chemistry skills land her a spot on the Hub's internship short list, but as she gets closer to the life she always wanted, she discovers that the Hub’s purpose is more sinister than it has always seemed. Now it’s up to her to decide if it's more important to fly solo, or to save everything - and everyone - she loves.

(Image and summary taken from Goodreads.)

Review:

There are moments in a reader's life when you just know. Know what? I don't really know but whatever it is, it just hits you smack in the face. ONE was exactly that, one big sock in the face. I don't mean it in a bad way at all. This is probably the only kind of face-smacking I'm okay with because after that, I knew. Knew what? That ONE was special.

 I don't think there's anything that sucks more than being half of what you deserve and that's what happened to Merrin and all the other Ones. Being a One means that you only have half of a Two's abilities, like being able to create fire but not having the indestructibility to be able to protect yourself from your own flames. It's these people who are unlucky but also lucky, in a way. The Ones are the people who are given the opportunity to see the world in two different lights. While they might not actually "belong" anywhere, that doesn't mean that they can't carve their own place into the world. I just wish some of them didn't give up so easily because that's what it really means to be a hero, you must never. Give. Up. Which Merrin never did.

I never thought that such a tiny person can have so much anger in her. Anger that she's a one, anger that her own parents expected her to give up, anger for that creep who tried to kiss her, and who knows what else? And they're all completely justified. Merrin actually has such a unique way of venting out all that anger, she likes to play the drums. Like, if her drum set was a person, it would be dead by now. It's this little thing about her that makes her so... relatable. There are always going to be moments in our lives when we feel lost and we have no one else to turn to but some inanimate object, like a pillow or something. I honestly really like Merrin as a character, yeah she had some flaws but don't we all? The one thing that flawed her was also what made me admire her, Merrin's determination. Merrin was super determined to get into The Hub that she didn't even care who she trampled, even if she had to lie to her parents and whatever else. Because in her mind, getting into The Hub's internship program will give her and opportunity to research about becoming a Super and while that saddened me, I understand where she was coming from. I mean, her brothers can walk on water! Yes, seriously. The thing that bothered me though was that she still felt incomplete even after discovering what she could do with Elias. It broke my heart that he wasn't enough but again, I understand where she was coming from. I look up to Merrin because even if people don't expect too much for her, she tells them to go screw themselves (not necessarily in those words) and she proves them wrong. This was the side of her that I loved. Even though her parents thought that she'd given up on being a One, she didn't. She practiced tirelessly because while she was okay with floating, she wanted more. I can't count the number of times I was fist pumping because I was thinking, "Go, Merrin!" She is an inspiration.

Elias. How can you not love the guy? He's cute, funny and smart. And he has glasses! Leigh knows my weakness. But seriously speaking, Elias is such a compassionate guy. Not only does he care for his friends, he also has a great relationship with his twin sisters (who are Supers, btw. Elias is a One.) He's genuinely such a nice guy, always smiling and puts others before himself because he doesn't want them to get hurt. And him with Merrin? They are adorable together. He softens her and shows her the brighter side of things. If they weren't already dating, I'd kidnap Elias and lock him in my boyfriend closet. But then again, girlfriends have never stopped me before! Mwahaha! We need more good guys like Elias, who isn't really completely good because I know there's a wild boy in there. Rawr. You can really see that Merrin completes him and his lines in the book? I think my body grew a third ovary because my first two exploded. There are so many quotes in the book from him that warmed my heart and made me fall in love with him more. I'm tearing up just thinking about them. Elias isn't just there to look good or to woo every girl who reads One, he's Merrin's support, best friend, soulmate, fly-buddy and everything else in between. He's every but important as she is, he's the other half of One. *hugs Elias* Be mine.

I can't recommend this book enough. Not only is the cover gorgeous but everything inside is beautiful. There are a bunch of really shocking and explosive stuff that happens in the book that I can't talk about but I will give you a few hints: it involves the Supers, Merrin and you'll most likely want to throw the book at the wall, in a good way. Leigh Ann Kopans has created a shining gem that I am proud to wear, in my heart. Cheesy? Well you obviously have not read One yet if you think so because this book is just... Wow. And like my friend Dianne from Twitter pointed out, it has the most perfect last line and ending (ever.) *fist pumps*

Rating:
.5

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, If I am broke at the end of this month it's totally your fault! :) I can't help it, I just think I have to have this novel! Not only is the cover super pretty, but the synopsis also seems so interesting and your review...totally convinced me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I am SOO glad to read this review! I am bumping this up my TBR, it sounds great :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete